Collect your personal documents in a folder and take them to the viewing appointment.
- Electronic residence permit (doesn’t apply to EU citizens)
- Leistungsbescheid from Sozialamt or Jobcenter
- Form 2 (Bescheinigung über ein Mietangebot) from Sozialamt or Jobcenter (see step 1)
- SCHUFA-Auskunft (SCHUFA collects all registered debts (for example caused by mobile phone contracts) and provides information; landlords thereby want to get security)
- Mieterselbstauskunft: Most of the landlords demand a Mieterselbstauskunft before the conclusion of a lease. If you already bring it to the viewing appointment, it will make a good impression and establish trust. You can find an example for a voluntary Mieterselbstauskunft here.
Start early to request your documents, because it may take some time until you get the documents. A SCHUFA request may take up to six weeks.
Never send the original documents. A copy is sufficient.